Throughout the party planning phase for Doren Damico’s I Scream Party (Saturday, January 14, 2017), I’ve been listening to Tikal Sun, and reflecting on my own smoking habits through Doren’s WHEN YOU CAN’T SCREAM YOUTUBE channel. One of the fun things that I’ve been thinking about are things that I like to do rather than smoke. So here are 10 ways that I curb my smoking via some groovy Instagram pics and inspired by Doren’s 10 Reasons Why I Smoke.
1). I go for a walk, or hike, this helps me clear my head. Often times I edit video, or text in long blocks, and it is easy for me only want to stop for a smoke break. The truth is that I’m much happier when I find a good stopping point and then go for a run, walk, hike or bicycle ride:
Go watch my Eco-doc: "#WhyWeClimb" featuring #spokenword #poetry by #EstherFeldman, with #music courtesy of #PatMethany. | #CaliforniaEnvironmentalLegacyProject #MasterLab: #DavidScheerer Watch: Http://TheGreatMoon.com/Cinema #EcologicalLiteracy | #LosAngeles From calegacy.org/ ""For all our natural wealth, we in America have become increasingly disconnected from our natural world. What is needed at this juncture is to turn the corner and head toward a better and broader public understanding of the planet’s natural systems and how we are inextricably linked to them. From that knowledge, American ingenuity can rise to the challenge of building a more sustainable future – one in which our actions and creations fit into the natural systems that sustain life. The California Environmental Legacy Project offers a fresh approach to this education challenge. Combining rich visual imagery, digital distribution and artful storytelling, the Legacy Project seeks to awaken public understanding and stimulate cultural change through an integrated package of environmental media programs. Led by distinguished scientists, leading educators and award-winning media professionals, the Legacy Project will connect our everyday lives to the life of California’s natural systems and inspire us to become long-term partners with nature. – Jim Baxter, Executive Producer – Jeffrey White, Executive Producer"" _____________________ Additionally, "Stock Footage and Pat Metheny score provided courtesy of the California Environmental Legacy Project for non-commercial, non-broadcast, educational use only. All Rights Reserved. Used by permission. Any other use of this footage without written consent is a serious copyright infringement. Aerials Footage by Aerial Filmworks for non-commercial, non-broadcast, educational use only. All Rights Reserved. The views expressed in this film are strictly those of Michael Ray Menjivar and do not represent the views or opinions of anyone affiliated with The California Environmental Legacy Project."
2. Juggle. I didn’t start of by juggling 4 balls (my goal is 6) but I did start off slow. I keep my juggling equipment close for moment when I feel like I just NEEEEEEEED to smoke. Not only does juggling have some great meditative and cognitive benefits, it is really fun too! #Shoutout to my fellow monkeys of The Humboldt Circus!!!
3. I go watch a show. From live theater, to music, to spoken word performances, a good show will keep my mind off of smoking. Seriously never underestimate the power of live entertainment, I generally avoid the smoking section at events, because I won’t bring a pack with me, and I don’t ask others for a cigarette.
#IScream party with #IceCream + #Live #Music and #Art; all for a book unlike any other, @dreamingdenterprises' #new #book "When You Can't Scream… 10 Reasons Why I Smoke." Deets online: https://michaelraydelosangeles.org/i-scream-party #WhenYouCantScream #10ReasonsWhyISmoke #SmokeFree | #NewYearsResolutions #IAmSanFernando | #13ThFloor | #13thFloorArtsSociety
4. I garden. No smoking near my plants. All Hail the kale. 😀
I've had many loves, but #Rosemary and I have something special going on. #GangsterGardener #GrowYourOwn Http://TheGreatMoon.com/Seed Order your #seeds & start your own #Garden, #farm, #permaculture #revolution now. Be a #GangsterGardener and become the change you want to see in the world. #GMO FREE! DONT'T PANIC, THEY'RE #ORGANIC. #LA4ART #SeedGenie #Sustainable futures ahoy! http://www.theseedgenie.com/#/featured-artist-michael-ray/
5. I Drink Tea. This is perhaps my most favorite options. I can have a cup of tea anywhere, anytime, along or with friends. When is a good time for tea? Anytime. #TeabagWisdom.
6. I cook yummy vegan food. When in doubt veggie out. In an honest attempt to curb my smoking I used to carry around carrot sticks. Nowadays I will just head straight for the fridge and chop, dice, and cut my way through a craving. Don’t get me wrong, I Love my carrot sticks, but it is hard to say no to a double stacked, veggie burger with avocado, tomatoes and a raw vegan dressing or a salad with quinoa and a warm tea.
Oh my! The #Vegan menu looks yummy! Thanks @dreamingdenterprises for being so #inclusive in your #PartyPlanning. #Vegans gotta eat too! Deets: https://michaelraydelosangeles.org/i-scream-party #WhenYouCantScream #10ReasonsWhyISmoke #SmokeFree | #NewYearsResolutions #IAmSanFernando | #13ThFloor | #13thFloorArtsSociety
7. Art & Design. I create new layouts, rework old art projects and revamp ideas for new works. Art itself is pretty therapeutic and I setting the intention to work on a new design, art project or submit a proposal can be a positive channel through which I can filter a cigarette craving.
#MRDLA #Featured #Artist via @theseedgenie. | Order your #seeds & start your own #Garden, #farm, #permaculture #revolution now. Be a #GangsterGardener and become the change you want to see in the world. #GMO FREE! DONT'T PANIC, THEY'RE #ORGANIC. #LA4ART #SeedGenie #Sustainable futures ahoy! http://www.theseedgenie.com/#/featured-artist-michael-ray/
8. Go for a bicycle ride. I know that I mentioned hiking, running, walking and bicycling earlier, but honestly bicycling deserves it’s own place on this list. Why? Because it’s a car-free approach to not smoking– some peeps do smoke in their car. I find that taking my bike out is a good measure of my own health. Am I winded after a few short miles or are my lungs up to par? In any case, ride a bike; one more way to lead a smoke-free lifestyle.
9. Photography and Videography. With the increased capacity of cell phones, anyone can take a good photo. If you feel like you need to smoke a cigarette, then pull out your phone and snap a few pics. However, if you want to take things a little more seriously, then never underestimate the power of a good camera and some video editing software for amazing photos or videos. This is also a great way to document you smoke-free journey.
10. Read a book, or several. Sometimes all you really need to take your mind off of smoking is a good book.
New #RecommendedReading: Doren Damico's WHEN YOU CAN'T SCREAM OR 10 REASONS WHY I SMOKE. Photographers: #JudithFosterThompson #VioletSoto Narrative Edited by #MichaelRayDeLosAngeles Deets: https://michaelraydelosangeles.org/2016/07/20/new-book-release-when-you-cant-scream-10-reasons-why-i-smoke-by-doren-damico-review-inside
That’s it, those are my 10 ways to curb smoking, I hope this helps, and I wish you well. Have a happy smoke-free 2017. If you liked these ideas, then leave a comment or share some of the ways that you curb your smoking. In the meanwhile, thanks for reading and stayed tuned for even more tips.
What people are saying about
“When You Can’t Scream… 10 Reasons Why I Smoke”
Amazing book!! Beautifully written, both poetry and prose. Brutally honest, sometimes difficult, but well worth the effort!
Keep in touch:
Michael Ray De Los Angeles | Contact: @vampyrohtechnix Media
Writer, editor, and Generation Y shutterbug. California grown environmentalist and published photographer, “Say Avocado.” You can find me across social media platforms (including Twitter, Soundcloud, Bonoboville, Instagram, and Youtube) with intersecting content focused on ecology, environmental activism, Literature, and California culture. I read and write about plant based living, with recommended readings, audio broadcasts and short documentaries. I like appropriate technologies like solar system and home gardens.
In my non-writing life, I like fashion and set design. I’m a graduate of Humboldt State University with a BA in English Literature, and was a costumer for the world-famous Humboldt Circus 2012-13. I love Poesy, spoken word and was Poetry Division editor for The Toyon Literary Journal. My dream job is to host an travel show with an ecological emphasis.