Michael Ray “De Los Angeles” Menjivar
B.A. Humboldt State University– Arcata, California, 2013. English Literature– American, British, World Literature
A.A. Los Angeles City College– Los Angeles, California, 2010. English & Liberal Arts.
Freelance writer, graphic designer, & photographer 2013- present
- Original content, reviews, mission statements and editing for websites, businesses and individuals.
- Logos, web design, computer generated editing, and printing of media
- Event documentation via film and video.
Mirror Media Group. Santa Monica, California 2017. Social Media Manager
- Daily Newsletter to contact list.
- Social media for postings for (in order of frequency) Santa Monica Mirror, Westside L.A. Today, Brentwood News LA, Century City Westwood News, Yo Venice, The Pride LA.
- Video distribution of journalists, businesses, and vloggers.
- Execution of Media campaigns
Green Door West, West Los Angeles, California, 2016. Beta tester
- App debugging and field testing.
- Data entry
Dr. Susan Block Institute for the Erotic Arts & Sciences. Beverly Hills, California, 2015- present. Senior editor.
- Administrative duties including phones, filing, and data entry.
- Production assistant for weekly live broadcasts.
- Created unique social media content including live-tweets during broadcasts.
- Collaborate with a team of programmers, designers and artists to develop smart solutions to difficult problems while constantly challenging myself and others to raise the bar.
- Database management, editing, outreach, and branding
Bellevue Recreation Center, Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. Los Angeles, California, 2001-2011. Recreation Assistant, summer camp counselor, afterschool programmer, “Los Angeles Kids” program instructor, umpire/referee/sport’s official.
• Coordination of year-round activities for youth ages 2-18.
• Distribution of information regarding Bellevue Recreation Center’s activities and programs.
• Officiating of various sports– including baseball, basketball, dodge ball, & street hockey.
• Led classes in art, writing, literacy and cooking.
Silver Lake Neighborhood Council. Los Angeles, California, 2006-2009. Governing board member, vice-chair (2007-2009), arts and culture committee, youth and families, urban, outreach.
• Hosted community discussions and governing board meetings.
• Organized concerts series in Silver Lake venues
• Served as a liaison between the residents and businesses of the Silver Lake and various departments within Los Angeles City Hall.
For Learners of All Ages. Sylmar, California. 2013. Graphic design, outreach and co-facilitator of workshop
• Creation of flyers, posters, handbills and other distributable media for use by For Learner of All Ages
• Director of film and photography of For Learners of All Ages events
The Humboldt Circus. Arcata, California 2012-2013. Costumes (Spring, 2013), outreach, performance artist.
• Created skits for biannual showcase presentations.
• Organized costumes prior to Spring 2013 Humboldt Circus production
• Distribution of material related the Humboldt Circus and showcases.
Broadchester Farms. A group uniting within South Central Los Angeles to create a better living environment through community gardening, education & service. 2014-2015.
LA-Artist: Artbook Volume II. An all inclusive, city-wide art documentation project, captured on 6X4inch post cards. During this project I served as the lead curator, as well as graphic designer. 2014.
The Literature of Farming. Highlights ecological literature & includes discussion prompts– developed as a teaching tool for book groups and academics. 2012.
The Disappearing Girl: A Literary Archetype. A webpage that highlights female characters, within film and literary works, that are represented as empowered, and able bodied. 2012
Lorax Community. A community devoted to ecologically mindful practices in gardening, and cooking. The project publishes zines, recipes, tutorials, journal entries and videos. 2010- Present
• “Revolutionary Bicycle Brigade,” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Spring 2014
• “#StopExcessiveForce: A Self Photograph, The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Spring 2014
• “Journals” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Spring 2014
• “Fall in Love With Industrialism Again.” Toyon Literary Journal, Humboldt State University. Spring 2014
• “Grandpa, Donde estas?” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2012
• “Mon Amour, Tomorrow You Will Be Gone.” Pan-Asian Pacific Islander Perspectives Zine, Asian Pacific Islander American Student Alliance (A.P.A.S.A)
• “Flip Life: Restless Heart Syndrome” Pan-Asian Pacific Islander Perspectives Zine, Asian Pacific Islander American Student Alliance (A.P.A.S.A)
• “Edification” Toyon Literary Journal, Humboldt State University. Spring 2012
• “Childhood” Toyon Literary Journal, Humboldt State University. Spring 2012
• “Mon Amor” Toyon Literary Journal, Humboldt State University. Spring 2012
• “Imagination Unlimited” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2012
• “Your Eyes, Bluer Than Bisbee Azurite” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2012
• “War is Over” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• “Stained Glass Heart” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• “Abuelito Esperame” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• “Dear Infinity” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Spring 2014. [Signed MRDLAM]
• “Le Morte De Romance Binarie,” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2013.
• Earthikana Soultonix: Urbanite Folk Songs Written on Chalk Stain’d Concrete. Children of the Matrix Press. 25 July 2013.
• “Mother’s Garden” in Rushing Waters, Rising Dreams: How the Arts Are Transforming a Community. Tia Chucha’s Press. 30 April 2012
• “. (Wordsworth I Hardly Knew Thee)” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2012.
• “Colorful Genderless Light” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2012.
• “War is Over” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• “Breathe” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• “Children of the Matrix” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• “Truth” The Matrix, The Women’s Resource Center, Humboldt State University. Fall 2011.
• The Pirate With The Golden Gun. Self-Published Chapbook. October 2010.
Newsprint & Journalism
• Lopez, Tiana: “Spotlight Sunday: Michael Ray De Los Angeles.” Zealous Scripts. 15 June 2014.
• Leelarathna, Hassina: Walmart Employees Can’t Afford Thanksgiving, Many On Food Stamps. LA Beez. 2 December 2013
• Sotomayor, Victor: “House of Brews.” Italo’s Corner. 28 October 2013
• Garcia, Eugene: “Human Ponies: Kink or Just Fun?” The Orange County Register.. March 2011.
• Ramirez, Helen: “An Open Mic Seeks to Open Minds.” The Roundup, Pierce Community College. 18 November 2009.
• Smith, Dakota: “Silver Lake Neighborhood Council: Two Fliers, One Fight.” Curbed LA. 2 July 2008.
• Box, Stephen: “BWC Picks up 2nd Cyclists’ Bill of Rights Endorsement from Silver Lake NC” SoapBoxLA: ACCESS AND MOBILITY ISSUES FROM TWO URBAN ADVENTURERS. 4 July 2008.
Dr. Parthenia Onasis Grant & Dr. Sarah Larsen, Interview, CRN Digital Talk Radio, Sunland California.
• “Healing With Art.” 23 October 2013.
• “Re-Imagining the Sage on the Stage (With AnnMarie DeHerrera).” 17 July 2013.
• “The Least You Should Know About the Ego Part III.” 18 March 2013.
• “Forgive to Forget.” 14 October 2012.
• “Bringing the Divine into Relationship.” 20 July 2012.
Performance and Presentations
- I Scream Party! When You Can’t Scream: 10 Reasons by Doren Damico book Launch. January 19th 2016, Sunland, California.
- Dia De Los Muertos/ Day of The Dead: Cultura, Danza Artesanias, Musica Y Mas, November 1st 2014, San Fernando, California.
- The Humboldt Circus Presents: Carnival of The Mind. April 26-27 2013, Eric Van Duzer Theater, Arcata California.
- Morris Graves Museum: Retired & Senior Volunteer Program Annual Appreciation Banquet. 11 April 2013. Eureka, California
- The Humboldt State University Black Student Union Presents: Poetry is not a Luxury, Black Box Theatre, Arcata, California. 21 February 2013.
- “Wear Nothin’ But Your Heart” & “From Factory to Port” in The Humboldt Circus Presents: On Continuous Lick, Gist Theatre, Arcata, California. October 25-27, 2012.
- The Humboldt Circus Presents: Illumi-Lot-I (A Glow Show), Black Box Theatre Arcata, California. 5 & 6 October 2012.
- “The North County Fair 2012″ Samba De Alegria featuring the Humboldt Circus, 23 September 2012. Arcata, California.
- Humboldt 3rd Annual Arts Festival featuring The Humboldt Circus. Arcata, California.12 May 2012
- Reading of The Pirate With The Golden Gun at Tia Chucha’s Centro Cultural. Sylmar, California. December 2010.
- Featured reading with Jenuine Poetess at Hansen Dam 4th of July Festival. Lake View Terrace, 4 July 2010
- “A Full Circle” Directed by Dr. Kevin Kane. Los Angeles, California, May 2001.
- Cesar Chavez: A One Act Play, Directed by M.F.A. Alejandro Molina, with Theatre Troupe Tres Culturas. 2000.
- “#Shelfie”, Chalk Alley at The Sylmar Olive Festival. Sylmar, California. October 2016. Sponsored in part by San Fernando Mission Realty.
- “The 13th Floor Art Collective Presents: Burning The Dead, A Dia De Los Muetros Celebration & Art Exhibition”. North Hollywood, California. 2 November 2014.
- “The Transformational Power of Art,” Blue Stargate Festival. Apple Valley. California. 19-23 June 2014.
- Chalk Artist, The Pasadena Chalk Art Festival at Paseo Colorado. Pasadena, California. Father’s Day Weekend 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2014.
- “The Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust Presents: the Fox & Laurel Mural Unveiling” Pacoima Neighborhood City Hall. Pacoima, California. 24 January 2014.
- “Voicing Rhythms,” Northeast Los Angeles Art Walk. Highland Park, California. 11 January 2014.
- “#LA4ART” The 5th Annual Los Angeles Anarchist Book Fair. Los Angeles, California. 7 December 2013.
- “OMGMO” (Oh My Genetically Modified Olives), Chalk Alley at The Sylmar Olive Festival. Sylmar, California. September 2013.
- “Graffiteria LA, Sponsored by LA-Artist.com” Pacoima Chamber of Commerce Holiday Parade. Pacoima, California. 7 December 2013.
- “Collaborate Create Communicate,” Reese Bullen Gallery, Arcata, California. 14 February through 14 March 2013.
- “Èlèments” (Selected Works) at Rain All Day Books. Fortuna, California. 1st-28th February 2013
Awards & Letters
2014 Civic University, Mayor Eric Garcetti, Cal State Los Angeles, The Pat Brown Institute.
2013 Letter of Appreciation, Neighborhood Housing Services.
2012 Humboldt State University Ambassadors Program
2010 Certificado De Reconocimento departe de El Sociedad de Escritores y Poetas Latinomericanos,
2008 The President’s Volunteer Service Award
Dr. Parthenia Grant, Host of Divine Love Talk, CRN Digital Talk Network
Dr. Sarah Larsen, Co-Host Divine Love Talk.
Michael Long, For Learners of All Ages (non-profit (501) c 3)
Jimmy MacWilliams, coordinator, Bellevue Recreation Center.